Dear Bethany Families,
As a follow up to our Letter dated March 10, 2020, we would like to inform you of extra precautions that Bethany Care Society (BCS) is taking over and above the current guidelines for the general public in Alberta at this time. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared COVID-19 a global pandemic. Our residents are at higher risk of serious illness from exposure to COVID-19 and respiratory illnesses and we appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
ENTRY RESTRICTIONS AT OUR SITES EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE:
All visitors to our sites who have travelled from outside of Canada in the past 14 days (from ANYWHERE in the world, including as a passenger on ANY CRUISE SHIP) are RESTRICTED FROM ENTERING OUR SITES FOR 14 DAYS upon their return/entry to Canada.
For the purpose of this restriction, a ‘Visitor’ to our sites include, but is not limited to:
- Family, friends and acquaintances of our residents
- Non-essential services contractors
- Volunteers (including non-practicum-related students)
As mentioned in our previous letter: Further to any travel-related precautions, all VISITORS and EMPLOYEES are RESTRICTED FROM ENTERING OUR SITES if they are feeling unwell and are showing signs of illness including cold-like symptoms, fever, cough, and difficulty breathing.
OTHER IMPORTANT NOTICES AND CONSIDERATIONS:
Large gatherings, communion, resident outings, and external appointments in the community:
- BCS is cancelling large gatherings and congregations until further notice
- Communion will be cancelled and no external clergy will be providing service
- BCS strongly encourages all residents and families to consider whether any resident outings in the community are necessary, and to limit any non-essential outings to reduce residents’ potential for exposure to illness
- We encourage residents and families to consult with their physician and their care team to determine any medically-necessary appointments, and to discuss the appropriate precautions residents and families should be taking when residents are exiting and re-entering our sites for necessary appointments and outings
- BCS is cancelling any recreation outings for the time being until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience, but are confident that you will understand we have made this decision based on the best interests of our residents’ health and safety
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation to help us all keep as healthy and safe as possible during this time of potential threat for the novel coronavirus. Once again, please be assured that BCS is closely monitoring the situation, and we are taking all necessary precautions for the protection of our residents and everyone at our sites in line with our public health bodies.
We understand that these directives and precautions have implications for us all. We will continue to make our best efforts to support enhancing the quality of life for our residents and families, while also supporting these necessary and heightened measures for infection prevention and control at this time.
As ever, should you have any questions or concerns, please continue to contact your Site Administrator.
Nancy Hughes. Vice President and COO, Bethany Care Society
cc: Jennifer McCue, President and CEO, Bethany Care Society