Dear Bethany Families,
You have likely heard through the news or social media about Coronavirus (COVID-19) which is raising health concerns across the globe. Although a small number of confirmed or presumptive cases of the virus have been identified in Canada, the risk to Canadians remains low as our care systems have strong plans and policies in place to prevent and control infections. Resident safety is our number one priority, and to this effect, we are closely monitoring the situation through updates from the Government of Alberta and Alberta Health Services (AHS).
Should this issue escalate to one of our communities, Bethany Care Society is ready to respond in alignment with the information and guidance from Alberta Health and supporting agencies. Bethany has plans in place which outline the necessary steps both in prevention, (e.g. hand hygiene practices), preparedness, and our response in the event of an outbreak. There are a number of systems, policies, and activities that happen on a daily basis that position us very strongly both to keep our communities safe, and to react if needed.
At Bethany we are:
- Encouraging frequent hand washing
- Encouraging cough and sneeze etiquette
- Putting protocols in place to protect our vulnerable populations from employees and visitors who are unwell or who have travelled to high risk area
- Requesting visitors who are displaying cold or flu like symptoms to leave the premises immediately
- Reviewing all group activities and outings, assessing risk and making decisions accordingly
- Stay at home if you or your family members are sick
- Wash your hands before, during, and after visits to our centres
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow, and disposing of tissues immediately, before washing hands again
- Follow the advice for travelers at travel.gc.ca.
Thank you for your continued support for our organization. Together we are working to be safe, diligent, and alert to Bethany Care Society’s community needs. If you have any questions, please speak your administrator.
Nancy Hughes, Vice President and COO, Bethany Care Society
cc: Jennifer McCue, President and CEO, Bethany Care Society